Thursday 1 December 2011

Freedom wasted

Time is incorruptible.
Every now and then I have to remind myself about one of the very basic facts of life. That there are only 24 hours in a day and that the amount of hours is the same for each and everyone of us, even for the most productive, most talented, most famous people.

How is it possible that I often feel the 24 hours are not enough for me to have anything meaningful done when those at the very top of one field or another with admirable scientific or artistic achievements, or responsibilities and difficulties the size of a mountain do not have a minute more?

Naturally, these people generally have staff or family to take care of all their domestic and other ‘less relevant’ tasks but still this is a mystery I cannot explain but in one word: timetable.

I realize I’ve grown to give myself too much slack, perhaps to compensate for the past couple of hard years. Even though I hate the thought of routine in my life, it is now time to abandon the reward excuse. Then I need to build up a daily and weekly timetable­ – and learn to follow that. It won’t happen overnight but I’m promising myself to get there bit by bit.

If I can’t accomplish more now that I am free I might as well spend my days at an office and feel miserable. Then I would at least get a salary.

Teresa Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment